[Bioc-devel] Fwd: Re: Build error due to TensorFlow installation

Kasper Daniel Hansen k@@perd@n|e|h@n@en @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Sep 5 15:09:48 CEST 2019

It might be true that the code is much easier on your end, but it comes
with the complexity of using TensorFlow, which is a huge dependency. And
that library can be easy or impossible to install depending on your box.  I
am not saying people shouldn't use TensorFlow, but I am saying it brings a
lot of complexities with it.

And (trying to) installing TensorFlow as part of .onLoad seems ... not the
right way to deal with this.

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 6:27 AM Simon Dirmeier <simon.dirmeier using web.de> wrote:

> Hi Herve,
>
> > All this means that if you replace some old C++ code with TensorFlow
> > then we will need to mark your package as unavailable on Windows and
> > Mac, at least for now. Sorry. I wonder if there was something wrong
> > with this old C++ code. I would recommend that you stick to it if you
> can.
> >
> The code is fine, but still an impractical complexity that doesn't need
> to exist:
>
> 1) It's hard to extend and read for others.
>
> 2) It needs a custom configure.ac.
>
> 3) Extending the package to other models/families is a huge pain, as one
> needs to derive custom coordinate descents (or other optimizers for that
> matter) for each.
>
> On the other side:
>
> 1) TF allowed me to replace like 5000 lines of source code with 100
> lines of R.
>
> 2) TF allows to easily extend with other models with just a few lines.
>
> 3) I don't need a huge test suite.
>
> 4) On GPUs it's a huge speedup.
>
> So, I'll revert the changes back on Bioc devel for now and continue
> development on another branch.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Simon
>

> Am 04.09.19 um 16:53 schrieb Pages, Herve:
> >
> > Hi Simon,
> >
> > On 9/3/19 09:11, Simon Dirmeier wrote:
> >> Do you think it would be possible to install TensorFlow and
> >> TensorFlow-Probability on the builders? I'd assume that many would
> >> profit from that.
> >>
> > As Lori mentioned at the end of her email (see below), we can't make
> > the tensorflow Python module available on our Windows builders at the
> > moment because we need to update Python to Python 3 on these machines
> > first (AFAIK tensorflow is only available for Python 3 on Windows).
> > This is something that we are currently working on.
> >
> > As for the Mac builders, we have tensorflow there but unfortunately
> > it's an old version because recent versions of are broken on El
> > Capitan (this is the Mac OS version that, for various reasons, we are
> > stuck with at the moment). This prevents us from installing the
> > tensorflow_probability module which requires a recent version of
> > tensorflow.
> >
> > The tensorflow and tensorflow_probability modules are available on our
> > Linux builders.
> >
> > All this means that if you replace some old C++ code with TensorFlow
> > then we will need to mark your package as unavailable on Windows and
> > Mac, at least for now. Sorry. I wonder if there was something wrong
> > with this old C++ code. I would recommend that you stick to it if you
> can.
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > H.

Kasper