[Bioc-devel] Build error due to TensorFlow installation

Pages, Herve hp@ge@ @end|ng |rom |redhutch@org
Wed Sep 4 16:53:37 CEST 2019

Hi Simon,

On 9/3/19 09:11, Simon Dirmeier wrote:

Do you think it would be possible to install TensorFlow and
TensorFlow-Probability on the builders? I'd assume that many would
profit from that.

As Lori mentioned at the end of her email (see below), we can't make the tensorflow Python module available on our Windows builders at the moment because we need to update Python to Python 3 on these machines first (AFAIK tensorflow is only available for Python 3 on Windows). This is something that we are currently working on.

As for the Mac builders, we have tensorflow there but unfortunately it's an old version because recent versions of are broken on El Capitan (this is the Mac OS version that, for various reasons, we are stuck with at the moment). This prevents us from installing the tensorflow_probability module which requires a recent version of tensorflow.

The tensorflow and tensorflow_probability modules are available on our Linux builders.

All this means that if you replace some old C++ code with TensorFlow then we will need to mark your package as unavailable on Windows and Mac, at least for now. Sorry. I wonder if there was something wrong with this old C++ code. I would recommend that you stick to it if you can.

Best,

H.

Right now tensorflow is unavailable on our windows server (tokay1)�as
we have not updated to python 3 (but will be in the near future)� The
windows error can be ignored for now.

Lori Shepherd

Bioconductor Core Team

Roswell Park Cancer Institute