[Bioc-devel] ndexr fails on vignette build on windows

Shepherd, Lori Lor|@Shepherd @end|ng |rom Ro@we||P@rk@org
Wed Oct 23 13:28:23 CEST 2019

Thank you for the update.

Lori Shepherd

Bioconductor Core Team

Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center

Elm & Carlton Streets

Buffalo, New York 14263

________________________________
From: Florian J. Auer <florian.auer using informatik.uni-augsburg.de>
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2019 7:25 AM
To: Shepherd, Lori <Lori.Shepherd using RoswellPark.org>; bioc-devel using r-project.org <bioc-devel using r-project.org>
Subject: Re: [Bioc-devel] ndexr fails on vignette build on windows

Hi Lori,

Thanks a lot, that really helped!

It seems, that the error is caused by httr, and curl in the end.

https://github.com/r-lib/httr/issues/619

Greetings

Florian

Am 09.10.19 um 17:37 schrieb Shepherd, Lori:
I did a little digging and here is what I've found...

I R CMD Stangle the vignette and then sourced the code:

> source("ndexr-vignette.R", echo=TRUE)

> ## ---- eval=FALSE---------------------------------------------------------
> ## if (!requireNamespace("BiocManager", quietly=TRUE))
> ##     instal .... [TRUNCATED]

> ## ---- eval=FALSE---------------------------------------------------------
> ## ## login to the NDEx server
> ## ndexcon = ndex_connect("username", .... [TRUNCATED]
Error in if (is_http) { : argument is of length zero
> traceback()
8: request_perform(req, hu$handle$handle)
7: httr::GET(url = url, config = auth_param) at ndex_helper.r#149
6: ndex_helper_httpResponseHandler(httr::GET(url = url, config = auth_param),
       log_txt, verbose) at ndex_connect.r#84
5: ndex_connect() at ndexr-vignette.R#24
4: eval(ei, envir)
3: eval(ei, envir)
2: withVisible(eval(ei, envir))
1: source("ndexr-vignette.R", echo = TRUE)

If I then did a
debug(httr:::request_perform)

httr:::request_fetch results in different output on windows than on mac/linux

#
# on linux and mac
#

Browse[2]> resp
$url
[1] "HTTP://www.ndexbio.org/v2/admin/status"<HTTP://www.ndexbio.org/v2/admin/status>

#
# on windows
#

Browse[2]> resp
$url
[1] "www.ndexbio.org/v2/admin/status<http://www.ndexbio.org/v2/admin/status>"

This causes the eventual error.

You might try to come up with a small reproducible example and report as a bug to httr.