[Bioc-devel] check error in SeqVarTools

Shepherd, Lori Lor|@Shepherd @end|ng |rom Ro@we||P@rk@org
Wed May 1 13:15:56 CEST 2019

Since this changes does not affect the runnable code and only the test you can push whenever you like.

Lori Shepherd

Bioconductor Core Team

Roswell Park Cancer Institute

Elm & Carlton Streets

Buffalo, New York 14263

________________________________
From: Stephanie Gogarten <sdmorris using uw.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2019 2:54:44 PM
To: Pages, Herve
Cc: bioc-devel using r-project.org; Shepherd, Lori
Subject: Re: [Bioc-devel] check error in SeqVarTools

If a user gave that exact set of random numbers as input, then a missing value would be the correct result; it's just the unit test that makes an assumption that all values are not missing. So the problem is in the test, not the code itself.

set.seed() is probably the right thing to do here, but as Herve points out, actually running a different set of random numbers every time is better at identifying bugs that only crop up in very particular circumstances - in this case it is not a bug, but in another case it might be.

I would welcome advice on the best way to write unit tests for fairly complicated statistical tests where I don't know beforehand exactly what the output should be, only that the code should run without errors and produce some output. I had initially thought that checking the output is non-missing would be a good solution, but that clearly doesn't work because it turns out that in very rare cases, the output should actually be a missing value. (Generating a random set of genotypes enough times will sometimes produce a monomorphic variant, or similar edge case where testing for association is invalid.)

Should I push a fix to the unit test today, or wait to change anything until after release?

thanks,
Stephanie