[Bioc-devel] GitHub Pages Vignettes

Shepherd, Lori Lor|@Shepherd @end|ng |rom Ro@we||P@rk@org
Fri Mar 15 13:08:56 CET 2019

This page is more accurate:

http://bioconductor.org/developers/package-guidelines/#vignettes

but we should update the /help/package-vignettes/  as well thank you for pointing to this.

Keep in mind that the github repo is not the canonical location for Bioconductor package.  On Bioconductor I only see 2 Rmd vignettes in the directory.  The maintainers should probably sync their github repo with Bioconductor for all these vignettes to appear.  The only two files we see on the Bioconductor git server are:

diffexp.Rmd

pagoda.Rmd

In order to be accessible on the package landing page the vignettes must be rebuild and have the regenerated output processed.  If the pages are not rebuild then they will not appear on the landing page or be accessible in R.

>From the build report it seems to be the case that it skips the building of the vignette as there is no line  "* creating vignettes ... OK":

http://bioconductor.org/checkResults/release/bioc-LATEST/scde/malbec1-buildsrc.html

* checking for file �scde/DESCRIPTION� ... OK
* preparing �scde�:
* checking DESCRIPTION meta-information ... OK
* cleaning src
* checking for LF line-endings in source and make files and shell scripts
* checking for empty or unneeded directories
* looking to see if a �data/datalist� file should be added
* building �scde_2.10.1.tar.gz�

Looking at the vignettes.  The header is missing the needed vignette metadata specifications for R to recognize these files.

The head of the diffexp.Rmd:

---
title: "Getting Started with `scde`"
author: "Peter Kharchenko, Jean Fan"
date: '`r Sys.Date()`'
output: pdf_document
---

Vignettes need to be specified with designation (example from BiocFileCache vignette):

---
title: "BiocFileCache: Managing File Resources Across Sessions"
author: Lori Shepherd
output:
  BiocStyle::html_document:
    toc: true
    toc_depth: 2
vignette: >
    %\VignetteEngine{knitr::rmarkdown}
    %\VignetteIndexEntry{BiocFileCache: Managing File Resources Across Sessions}
    %\VignetteEncoding{UTF-8}
    %\VignetteDepends{rtracklayer}
---

 Hope this helps.