[Bioc-devel] Which version of R for a new package

Shepherd, Lori Lor|@Shepherd @end|ng |rom Ro@we||P@rk@org
Wed Mar 13 13:17:49 CET 2019

We always check newly submitted packages against the latest or devel branch of Bioconductor as this will be the suite of packages that it needs to be compatible with for dependencies.  Depending on the time of year that branch is either the latest release version of R  or R devel.  We are currently using R-devel in preparation for their next release next month for R 3.6.

http://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/useDevel/

So using R 3.6 is a requirement or at least it has to be compatible on our builders.

Next -  if the install.package code is in your R code, vignettes, examples, or test code.  Please remove it.  These are not encouraged directly in package code and are controlled with the dependencies lists in the DESCRIPTION and the NAMESPACE.  You should simple to the library call in the vignettes, example, or test code  and  the functions should be recognized in R code if they were specified in the NAMESPACE (or you can use the :: to indicate functions from another package).

Next -  Yes AnnotationHub resources from 3.8  should be available in 3.9.  The only reason they are generally not available is if they were deprecated, defunct, or replaced. In this case the file for

path_to_transcriptome <- ah_transcriptomes[["AH49057"]]$path

was marked as defunct because there were major updates to Rsamtools and the rzzip format that these files were in were no longer supported.  These were from older ensembl releases as well as we have not provided the FaFile format for a few years. There are updated resources as twobit and gtf files that hopefully will be sufficient. For ensembl 95 :

> query(ah,c("Ensembl", "Caenorhabditis elegans", "95"))
AnnotationHub with 7 records
# snapshotDate(): 2019-02-19
# $dataprovider: Ensembl
# $species: Caenorhabditis elegans
# $rdataclass: TwoBitFile, GRanges, EnsDb
# additional mcols(): taxonomyid, genome, description,
#   coordinate_1_based, maintainer, rdatadateadded, preparerclass, tags,
#   rdatapath, sourceurl, sourcetype
# retrieve records with, e.g., 'object[["AH67916"]]'

            title
  AH67916 | Ensembl 95 EnsDb for Caenorhabditis elegans
  AH68081 | Caenorhabditis_elegans.WBcel235.cdna.all.2bit
  AH68082 | Caenorhabditis_elegans.WBcel235.dna_rm.toplevel.2bit
  AH68083 | Caenorhabditis_elegans.WBcel235.dna_sm.toplevel.2bit
  AH68084 | Caenorhabditis_elegans.WBcel235.ncrna.2bit
  AH68713 | Caenorhabditis_elegans.WBcel235.95.abinitio.gtf
  AH68714 | Caenorhabditis_elegans.WBcel235.95.gtf

You can always check the status of a record with recordStatus

> ah = AnnotationHub()

> recordStatus(ah, "AH49057")

   record  status
1 AH49057 Defunct

http://bioconductor.org/packages/devel/bioc/vignettes/AnnotationHub/inst/doc/AnnotationHub-HOWTO.html#ensembl-gtf-and-fasta-files-for-txdb-gene-models-and-sequence-queries

Please feel free to ask any additional questions.  It might also help to ask on your submission issue as your reviewer could also answer other questions as well.

Cheers,

Lori Shepherd

Bioconductor Core Team

Roswell Park Cancer Institute