[Bioc-devel] SetMethod to dispatch on class in unattached package

Brendan Innes brend@n@|nne@ @end|ng |rom m@||@utoronto@c@
Wed Jan 30 21:41:06 CET 2019

Thanks Martin!

The fun strategy (zzz.R .onLoad setHook trick) worked well, except for setting this particular method:

    setMethod(scClustViz::getDR,"SingleCellExperiment",function(x,DRtype) {
        if (any(grepl(DRtype,SingleCellExperiment::reducedDimNames(x),ignore.case=T))) {
          SingleCellExperiment::reducedDim(x,grep(DRtype,
                                                  SingleCellExperiment::reducedDimNames(x),
                                                  ignore.case=T,value=T))
        } else {
          stop(paste(paste0("DRtype '",DRtype,"' not found."),
                     "The following cell embeddings are available in this object:",
                     paste0(SingleCellExperiment::reducedDimNames(x),collapse=", "),
                     sep="\n  "))
        }
      },
      where=.GlobalEnv)

which gives the following error when SingleCellExperiment is loaded:

Error in as.vector(x, "character") :
  cannot coerce type 'closure' to vector of type 'character'

But if I just run that code, it doesn't give the error.  I thought this might be due to where in the order of loading and attaching namespaces the hook is running, but changing the packageEvent event to "attach" makes no difference.

Anyway, suppressing the message works, so I'm happy.  Just wanted to report back on the partial success of doing it the cool way, in case anyone was interested.

Thanks again!

Brendan

www.baderlab.org/BrendanInnes<http://www.baderlab.org/BrendanInnes>