[Bioc-devel] Best practices to load data for vignette/tests

Julien Wollbrett ju||en@wo||brett @end|ng |rom un||@ch
Thu Jan 24 12:29:57 CET 2019

Hello,

Thank you for your helpful answer Lori.
I will create an experimentHub package that will contain one fastq file.

I also needed to access to gtf and transcriptome cdna files from ensembl.
In your website I read that publicly available data like gtf and transcriptome.fa files should not be added to the experimentHub because it is possible to access to them through the annotationHub.

I easily accessed to the path of one transcriptome file I cas interested to using these lines of code :

ah = AnnotationHub()
# query the annotation hub
transcriptome_datasets <- query(ah, c("FaFile","Ensembl", "Caenorhabditis elegans", "Caenorhabditis_elegans.WBcel235.cdna.all.fa"))
# access to local path of the transcriptome dataset
user using transcriptome_path <- transcriptome_datasets[["AH49057"]]$path

I tried to do the same for the annotation GTF file but I can not retrieve the local path of the file once it is downloaded.
I directly access to the content of the file

ah = AnnotationHub()
# query the annotation hub
annotation_datasets <- query(ah, c("GTF","Ensembl", "Caenorhabditis elegans", "Caenorhabditis_elegans.WBcel235.84"))
# retrieve dataset locally and keep path to local file
user using annotation_path <- annotation_datasets[["AH50789"]]$path

I have two questions :
- How is it possible to access to the path of each file downloaded from the annotationHub using AnnotationHub ID?
- Is it normal that I did not find transcriptome of C. elegans more recent than version 81 of ensembl?

Cheers,

Julien