[Bioc-devel] check error in SeqVarTools

Pages, Herve hp@ge@ @end|ng |rom |redhutch@org
Tue Apr 30 18:59:12 CEST 2019

Hi Stephanie,

In addition to Lori's advice to make sure that your code works whatever
random numbers get generated (otherwise the current issue could also
affect your users, not just your unit tests), it's recommended to call
set.seed() before you start generating the random numbers in your test.
This will ensure that the sequence of random numbers that gets generated
is the same every time the tests are run, and on all platforms.

The irony is that you probably wouldn't have been able to catch this
problem if you had been using set.seed() already. But still,
reproducible/deterministic unit tests are a must.

Hope this helps,

H.

On 4/30/19 07:44, Shepherd, Lori wrote:
> How are you generating random numbers?  How is the generation ending up with a missing number?  This seems like it might be an edge case that should be caught in your code?
>

> Lori Shepherd
>
> Bioconductor Core Team
>
> Roswell Park Cancer Institute
>
> Department of Biostatistics & Bioinformatics
>
> Elm & Carlton Streets
>
> Buffalo, New York 14263
>
> ________________________________

Hervé Pagès