[Bioc-devel] NEWS.md

Henrik Bengtsson henrik@bengt@@on @ending from gm@il@com
Wed Sep 26 00:58:12 CEST 2018

Note that in R-devel, we have that
(https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-devel/NEWS.html):

* news() gains support for ‘NEWS.md’ files.

That is, news(package = pkg) not only finds NEWS.md (as before) but
also parses it (into sections etc.) analogously to how it parses
NEWS.Rd and NEWS.

Because of this, I'd say a package should use only one of the NEWS,
NEWS.Rd, and NEWS.md files.

Also, I believe CRAN has parsed NEWS.md files for quite a while now
and rendered them as HTML.  I think Bioconductor should do the same
thing (sounds like this is what Lluís argued for), especially with the
new NEWS.md support by news().

/Henrik