[Bioc-devel] How to extend nonstandardGenericFunction

Elizabeth Purdom epurdom @ending from @t@t@berkeley@edu
Fri Oct 19 21:37:11 CEST 2018

Thanks Martin. And of course you’re right! The errors I was getting came from devtools functions— I didn’t think to check it outside of there and assumed it was a general problem with my package setup. But it's actually a problem in devtools.

When I set up your example (thanks!) with Roxygen as follows:

#' @import methods
#' @importMethodsFrom phylobase nNodes
.A = setClass("A", slots = c(x="numeric"))

#' @export
setMethod("nNodes", "A", function(x) "I'm an 'A’")

Then I get the following errors with `document` and `load_all`

> document()
Updating PkgA documentation
Error in setMethod("nNodes", "A", function(x) "I'm an 'A'") :
  no existing definition for function ‘nNodes’

> load_all()
Error in setMethod("nNodes", "A", function(x) "I'm an 'A'") :
  no existing definition for function ‘nNodes’

But it does seem related to the `nonStandardGeneric`, since I don’t have this problem when I use the Matrix package instead, which creates `standardGeneric`:

#' @import methods
#' @importMethodsFrom Matrix isDiagonal
.A = setClass("A", slots = c(x="numeric"))

#' @export
setMethod("isDiagonal", "A", function(object) "I'm an 'A'")

> document()
Updating PkgA documentation
Writing NAMESPACE
Writing NAMESPACE

I’ll submit the problem in devtools.

I guess for the upcoming Bioconductor release I’ll switch the package to `Depends` to get my documentation and any final bugs, and at the last minute I’ll put it back to `Imports`.

Thanks,
Elizabeth