[Bioc-devel] Why bioconductor?

Levi Waldron lw@ldron@re@e@rch @ending from gm@il@com
Wed Oct 10 22:43:09 CEST 2018

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 3:25 PM Turaga, Nitesh <
Nitesh.Turaga using roswellpark.org> wrote:

> As far as Levi’s comment about PEP8. It’s possible to design something
> similar with Jim Hester’s “lintr” package, which purely defines a style
> guide for code.
>
> https://github.com/jimhester/lintr

As I understand lintr it allows you to specify and perform syntax checks,
but you still have to write the style guide (as opposed e.g. to Swagger UI
for defining APIs)? On this thread, a couple more examples of pieces of
acquired knowledge that are non-obvious to newcomers:

   - Key elements of the "Bioconductor family tree" of core classes
   including: Annotated -> Vector -> (IRanges, GRanges, SummarizedExperiment,
   RangedSummarizedExperiment)
   - conventions like: core Bioconductor classes have constructors of the
   same name as the class
   - constructors can be called with no arguments