[Bioc-devel] on to AnnotationTrack with rtracklayer [was Re: IGV VCF demo, other suggestions? [was Re: IGV - a new package in preparation]]

Paul Shannon paul.thurmond.shannon at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 00:09:02 CET 2018

I have now implemented VCF tracks for IGV, supporting both

   a local VCF object read and filtered by the VariantAnnotation package, and
   a remote webserver-hosted vcf file.

In normal use I expect (and recommend) that the local VCF object will be relatively small (< 1Mb, < 50 samples - or some tradeoff of those approximate numbers), and that the genome scale vcf file is accompanied by an index.

I am now turning to annotation tracks: bed, bed9, gff, gff3, gtf.  rtracklayer provides a good set of importers for these formats, and S4 classes to represent them (apparently all are subclasses of GenomicRanges):

   BEDFile (3 required fields, up to 9 optional fields - https://genome.ucsc.edu/FAQ/FAQformat.html#format1)
   GFFFile (includes gff, gff3, gtf)

I propose to support four different representations of these data in R:

   data.frame
   the two rtracklayer classes
   a url pointing to a web-hosted and indexed annotation

The AnnotationTrack constructor accepts all three in the “annotation” parameter, a simple version of which (with many parameters defaulted) is:

  track <- AnnotationTrack(trackName, annotation, color, displayMode)

The annotation parameter will be inspected by the constructor: is it a data.frame? a BEDFile?  a GFFFile?  a url?

The local data is reformatted as needed into a file with a format igv.js understands - native bed and gff text files - then passed to igv as a local url. Remote urls are transmitted without change.

Does this sound right?  If you have a minute to comment, now is a good time to offer critique and suggestions on annotation tracks.

Next up after the AnnotationTrack class will be alignment (bam) tracks and, if I get to it before package submission data, a “seg” track for segmented copy number data.

Last week Gabe asked:

> If myigv represents the  IGV session/state, then add_track(myigv, vcfobj) could call down to add_track(myigv,VariantTrack(vcf)) so you'd get the default behaviors. you could also support add_track(myigv, vcf, title = "bla", homVarColor = "whateverman") which would call down to add_track(myigv, VariantTrack(vcf, title = "bla", homVarColor = "whateverman”))
>
> This is easy to do (I'm assume the IGVSession class name but replace it with whatever class add_track is endomorphic in...):
>   setMethod("add_track", signature = c("IGVSession", "VCF"), function(igv, track, ...) add_track(igv, VariantTrack(track, ...)))
>   setMethod("add_track", signature = c("IGVSession", "BAM", function(igv, track, ...) add_track(igv, AlignmentTrack(track, ...)))
>
> This would, as Michael points out, give you the default values of the parameter when you just call add_track(myigv, vcfobj)

I hope I don’t sound disrespectful by describing these shorter methods as only syntactic simplifications with a little S4 dispatch thrown in.    They have value, for sure, but are they not just a relatively thin layer on top of the classes I am writing now?   *If* that description is accurate, then I’d rather consider adding them later, after the nuts and bolts and basic operations are all written, tested, and subjected to a few months of user QC.  I admit that I also prefer the greater operational clarity which for me, with my plodding brain, comes from using by explicit data types and explicit constructors.)

 - Paul