[Bioc-devel] Best practice on commit

Egon Willighagen egon.willighagen at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 09:10:15 CET 2018

Hi Nicolas,

after doing a bit of work on the BridgeDbR package this weekend, I was
wondering exactly the same thing. I prefer small patches, so that I can
easily link the change with the commit message and have related changes
together (and fairly, it allows me to see when I actually work on what
(#academicTimeReporting)... But previously I learned that when you push
something to the repository, you should bump the question, so currently I
do this for every change I made, leaving a ridiculous number of minor
release and really short NEWS entries...

Working in a branch and when only bumping the version number just before
the merge into master makes a lot of sense to me.

Can some senior developer and/or gatekeeper confirm that that is acceptable
commit practice?

Egon