[Bioc-devel] BiocManager now on CRAN

Joris Meys Jori@@Mey@ @ending from ugent@be
Thu Jun 21 10:06:11 CEST 2018

Dear Marcel,

A big thanks to you and the entire bioconductor team. I will spread the
word among my colleagues. I also noticed that the installation instructions
aren't adapted yet on the bioconductor site (
https://www.bioconductor.org/install/). Probably I'm just rushing here and
you are working on it, but I thought to inform you anyway as our courses
link to that website for official installation instructions.

Cheers
Joris

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 6:23 PM, Marcel Ramos <Marcel.Ramos using roswellpark.org>
wrote:

> Dear bioc-devs,
>

> A month ago we notified you about our "next generation" changes to
> BiocInstaller.
>
> Thanks to all beta testers and those who provided feedback and
> suggestions for a new package name.
>

> I am pleased to inform you that BiocManager is now on CRAN:
> https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/BiocManager/index.html
>

> As mentioned in our last email, you can now install BiocManager using:
>
> ```
> install.packages("BiocManager")
> BiocManager::install("YourPackageNameHere")
> ```
>
> Action Item:
>
>    -   Please modify the vignettes in your bioc-devel packages to
> reflect the use of BiocManager
>

> After the next couple of weeks or so, we will be identifying packages in
> bioc-devel (3.8) that still
> mention BiocInstaller / biocLite.
>

> Best regards,
> Marcel
>
> Bioconductor Core Team
> Roswell Park Cancer Institute
> Dept. of Biostatistics & Bioinformatics
> Elm & Carlton Streets
> Buffalo, New York 14263
>

> On 05/09/2018 06:11 PM, Martin Morgan wrote:
> > Developers --
> >
> > A preliminary heads-up and request for comments.
> >
> > Almost since project inception, we've used the commands
> >
> >   source("https://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
> >   biocLite(pkgs)
> >
> > to install packages. This poses security risks (e.g., typos in the
> > url) and deviates from standard R package installation procedures.
> >

> > We'd like to move to a different system where a base package, call it
> > 'BiocManager', is installed from CRAN and used to install Bioconductor
> > packages
> >
> >   if (!"BiocManager" %in% rownames(installed.packages()))
> >       install.packages("BiocManager")
> >   BiocManager::install(pkgs)
> >
> > This establishes a secure chain from user R session to Bioconductor
> > package installation. It is also more consistent with base R package
> > installation procedures.
> >
> > BiocManager exposes four functions
> >
> >   - install() or update packages
> >
> >   - version() version of Bioconductor in use
> >
> >   - valid() are all Bioconductor packages from the same Bioconductor
> > version?
> >
> >   - repositories() url location for Bioconductor version-specific
> > repositories
> >
> > install() behaves like biocLite(), using the most current version of
> > Bioconductor for the version of R in use. It stores this state using a
> > Bioconductor package 'BiocVersion', which is nothing more than a
> > sentinel for the version in use. One can also 'use devel' or a
> > particular version of Bioconductor (consistent with the version of R)
> > with
> >
> >   BiocManager::install(version = "3.8")   # or the synonym "devel"
> >

> > We intend to phase this in over several release cycles, and to
> > continue to support the traditional biocLite() route for versions
> [...]

Joris Meys
Statistical consultant

Department of Data Analysis and Mathematical Modelling
Ghent University
Coupure Links 653, B-9000 Gent (Belgium)
<https://maps.google.com/?q=Coupure+links+653,%C2%A0B-9000+Gent,%C2%A0Belgium&entry=gmail&source=g>

tel: +32 (0)9 264 61 79
Biowiskundedagen 2017-2018
http://www.biowiskundedagen.ugent.be/