[Bioc-devel] BiocParallel on Windows Never Ends

Martin Morgan m@rtin@morg@n @ending from ro@wellp@rk@org
Wed Jun 13 11:11:18 CEST 2018

It's more likely that it never starts, probably because it tries to
create socket connections on ports that are not available, or perhaps
because the file path to the installed location of the BiocParallel
package is on a network share, or the 'master' node needs to be
specified with an IP address.

Can you investigate? A starting point is

   bpstart(SnowParam(2))

which I guess never returns. If you're able to discover the IP address
or host name of your computer or use the local 'loopback' ip address
127.0.0.1, you could add the argument 'manager.hostname = "127.0.0.1"`.
Likewise if you are able to determine ports that are available for
communication you can add `manager.port = 12345` to SnowParam

   param = bpstart(SnowParam(2, manager.hostname = "127.0.0.1",
manager.port = 12345))

Once past this stage you could use bplapply(..., BPPARAM = param) and
bpstop(param) for further debugging.

The basic calling sequence for bpstart() is

   selectMethod("bpstart", "SnowParam")
   parallel::makeCluster
   snow::makeSOCKcluster
   snow::newSOCKnode

and you could try to debug() each of these to step through the code to
see where exactly things go wrong (I'd start at the bottom).

Martin