[Bioc-devel] Fixing bugs in release version

Eugenia Galeota eugeni@@g@leot@ @ending from gm@il@com
Thu Jul 12 16:51:19 CEST 2018

Before the bug fixes I was just working on a master and devel branch on my
Github connected with bioconductor repository (through upstream). When I
decided to fix some of the bugs in the release version I just followed the
instructions in the page that I linked in the first message. It's when I
also created the RELEASE_3_7 branch in my git repository. After that, in
one of the commits I noticed that the version in the DESCRIPTION file
changed to 3 (but I can't remember how it happened, that's why I wrote that
maybe I messed up with the DESCRIPTION file) and when I tried to change it
back to 2 git returned an error message saying that it's impossible to bump
older versions:

host016:Onassis egaleota$ git status

On branch RELEASE_3_7

Your branch is ahead of 'upstream/RELEASE_3_7' by 1 commit.

  host016:Onassis egaleota$ git checkout master

Switched to branch 'master'

Your branch is ahead of 'origin/master' by 1 commit.

  (use "git push" to publish your local commits)

host016:Onassis egaleota$  git push upstream master

Counting objects: 5, done.

Compressing objects: 100% (5/5), done.

Writing objects: 100% (5/5), 2.33 KiB | 2.33 MiB/s, done.

Total 5 (delta 3), reused 0 (delta 0)

remote: Error: Illegal version bump from '1.3.0' to '1.2.1'. Check

remote: http://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/version-numbering/

remote: for details

To git.bioconductor.org:packages/Onassis.git

Anyway, since I'm not an expert, I have another simple question. Where can
I find the commit logs in git.bioc? I usually looked at git logs on my
local machine with the command "git logs" but the commit ids (

commit 629cb9c4c34b82866c11b14dc2972fedc163c411) are different from those
used by Jason ((ce0fb68)).

Thank you for this discussion.

Eugenia