[Bioc-devel] Should GenomicFeatures really depend pn RMySQL ? Is it time to migrate to RMariaDB ?

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Fri Jan 26 14:59:07 CET 2018

On 01/24/2018 03:38 PM, Wolfgang Huber wrote:
> GenomicFeatures_1.31.3 imports RMySQL.
>
> I'm having great trouble installing RMySQL from source on a recent MacOS
> (10.13.3) with homebrew.
>
> The package's homepage says "The 'RMySQL' package contains an old
> implementation based on legacy code from S-PLUS which being phased out.
> A modern 'MySQL' client based on 'Rcpp' is available from the 'RMariaDB'
> package" https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/RMySQL/index.html
>
> So is it time to heed that advice and migrate GenomicFeatures to RMariaDB ?

Out of curiosity, is MariaDB easier to install on your system? Its
system dependencies are described at
https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=RMariaDB

FWIW MySQL is a relatively recent addition as a dependency to
GenomicFeatures; it enables `makeTxDbFromEnsembl()`, which is probably a
much more stable solution than `makeTxDbFromBiomart()`. On the other had
Johannes does an excellent job on the ensembldb packages, so perhaps
this code could really be conditional with the RMySQL dependency moved
to Suggests:

Martin