[Bioc-devel] Missing link files in Windows (release and devel)

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Wed Jan 17 22:15:44 CET 2018

On 01/17/2018 12:02 PM, Stephanie M. Gogarten wrote:
> This sentence seems to indicate that the original format
> \link[base]{rbind} should work:
>
> "Because they have been frequently misused, the HTML help system looks
> for topic foo in package pkg if it does not find file foo.html."

I looked at the code

https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/89ec1150299f7be62b839d5d5eb46bd9a63653bd/src/library/tools/R/Rd2HTML.R#L377

and for \link[base]{rbind} it seems (a) like the condition is reversed
and one would have expected a warning

   "file link 'rbind' in package 'base' does not exist and so has been
treated as a topic"

The warning "missing file link" would seem to be intended for
\link[base]{foo}. But (b) it's a warning either way, so one needs to
correct it. And (c) Leonardo's original code generated a valid link --
as the corrected warning would have indicated, 'rbind' was treated as a
'topic' (i.e., listed as an '\alias{}'), and found in cbind.html.

FWIW I debugged this with

   links <- findHTMLlinks(system.file(package="base"))
   Rd2HTML("recount/man/geo_characteristics.Rd", Links=links)

to generate the HTML with links, and then

   options(warn=2, error=recover)
   links <- findHTMLlinks(system.file(package="base"))
   Rd2HTML("recount/man/geo_characteristics.Rd", Links=links)

to get into the debugger and see what was going wrong.

I'll follow up on part (a).

Martin