[Bioc-devel] Duplicate commits in Bioconductor commit history

Laurent Gatto lg390 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 16 16:15:25 CET 2018

Dear all,

There are duplicated commit in the Bioconductor commit history of the
qcmetrics package, which stop me from pushing additional changes. Here
is an illustration of the problem:

$ git clone git at git.bioconductor.org:packages/qcmetrics.git
Cloning into 'qcmetrics'...
cd remote: Counting objects: 973, done.
Receiving objects: 100% (973/973), 4.73 MiB | 1.82 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (614/614), done.
Checking connectivity... done.
$ cd qcmetrics
$ echo >> DESCRIPTION
$ git commit -am "just a test"
[master 209d6e3] just a test
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)
$ git push
Counting objects: 23, done.
Compressing objects: 100% (3/3), done.
Writing objects: 100% (3/3), 280 bytes | 0 bytes/s, done.
Total 3 (delta 2), reused 0 (delta 0)
remote: Error: duplicate commits.
remote:
remote: There are duplicate commits in your commit history, These cannot be
remote: pushed to the Bioconductor git server. Please make sure that this is
remote: resolved.
remote:
remote: Take a look at the documentation to fix this,
remote: https://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/git/sync-existing-repositories/,
remote: particularly, point #8 (force Bioconductor master to Github master).
remote:
remote: For more information, or help resolving this issue, contact
remote: <bioc-devel at r-project.org>. Provide the error, the package name and
remote: any other details we might need.
remote:
remote: Use
remote:
remote:     git show fe33ea0a9221f5dbeea0581d1d2381df965d10ce
remote:     git show 2b089e21267bccbe23416bf756bff01036623aec
remote:
remote: to see body of commits.
remote:
To git at git.bioconductor.org:packages/qcmetrics.git
 ! [remote rejected] master -> master (pre-receive hook declined)
error: failed to push some refs to 'git at git.bioconductor.org:packages/qcmetrics.git'

If I look at the documentation suggested above, I understand that this
is relevant for duplicated commits in github and bioconductor
histories.

Any idea how to address this within Bioconductor?

Thank you in advance.

Laurent