[Bioc-devel] R version check in BiocChech

Alexey Sergushichev alsergbox at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 13:19:11 CET 2018

Hello Kevin,

Well, bioc-devel packages are tested against bioc-devel (and R-3.5) in any
case. What I'm saying is that aside from testing the package against
bioc-devel, I can as well test against bioc-release too on my own. If the
package doesn't work with bioc-devel it shouldn't pass bioc-devel checks,
if the package is properly developed and has a good test coverage. So I see
no problem in allowing developers to test against other versions, on top of
developing against bioc-devel. And as it's only possible to install the
package from github and not from Bioconductor, the developer alone is
responsible for the package to work properly.

I can't really see a scenario, where requiring R >= 3.5 helps to improve
the package quality.

> A short-term workaround can be to create a git branch (e.g. "3.4").

That's the way I'm doing too, but supporting two branches different only in
R version looks ridiculous and unnecessary.

--
Alexey