[Bioc-devel] Pushing to upstream master

Anand MT @n@nd_mt @ending from hotm@il@com
Mon Dec 17 16:22:29 CET 2018

Hi all,

I maintain maftools bioconductor package. I recently fixed several bugs which had resulted in build fail on devel branch of Bioconductor. However, I am unable to push them to upstream master. I have gone through help pages on Bioconductor page as well several other solutions online but I am not able to fix it. Please accept my apologies in advance if this has been already discussed before.

Below are my git commands and error:

$ git branch devel
$ git checkout devel
Switched to branch 'devel'
$ git fetch upstream
$ git merge upstream/master
Auto-merging DESCRIPTION
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in DESCRIPTION
Automatic merge failed; fix conflicts and then commit the result.
$ vi DESCRIPTION
Fixed merge conflict
$ git add .
$ git commit -m "bug fixes"
$ git status
On branch devel
nothing to commit, working tree clean
$ git push upstream master
To git.bioconductor.org:packages/maftools.git
! [rejected]        master -> master (non-fast-forward)
error: failed to push some refs to 'git using git.bioconductor.org:packages/maftools.git'
hint: Updates were rejected because a pushed branch tip is behind its remote
hint: counterpart. Check out this branch and integrate the remote changes
hint: (e.g. 'git pull ...') before pushing again.
hint: See the 'Note about fast-forwards' in 'git push --help' for details.

Could you please suggest me on how to proceed.

-Anand.