[Bioc-devel] GitHub and Bioc sync: issue with dup commit for the sva package

Leonardo Collado Torres lcoll@do @ending from jhu@edu
Fri Aug 24 19:59:56 CEST 2018

Hi,

I'm having trouble with synching a github repo with Bioc.

At https://github.com/jtleek/sva-devel/commits/master we have 3 recent
commits by Claire that we want to sync with Bioc. I followed the
instructions at
http://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/git/sync-existing-repositories/
and then had to do step #8 where I ran steps 1-4 from "force
Bioconductor master to Github master"
http://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/git/abandon-changes/#force-bioconductor--to-github-.
On the optional step 4 I used git cherry-pick to pick the 3 commits by
Claire. That's how we got to the current state on the jtleek/sva-devel
repo (git added me as a co-author of the commits). However, "git push
upstream master" keeps failing as shown below:

$ git push upstream master
Counting objects: 15, done.
Compressing objects: 100% (7/7), done.
Writing objects: 100% (15/15), 2.76 KiB | 2.76 MiB/s, done.
Total 15 (delta 9), reused 11 (delta 8)
remote: Error: duplicate commits.
remote:
remote: There are duplicate commits in your commit history, These cannot be
remote: pushed to the Bioconductor git server. Please make sure that this is
remote: resolved.
remote:
remote: Take a look at the documentation to fix this,
remote: https://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/git/sync-existing-repositories/,
remote: particularly, point #8 (force Bioconductor master to Github master).
remote:
remote: For more information, or help resolving this issue, contact
remote: <bioc-devel using r-project.org>. Provide the error, the package name and
remote: any other details we might need.
remote:
remote: Use
remote:
remote:     git show 812b53941d5ba3e70797e4ecfef8401b89fc4741
remote:     git show a3406ad11056cc5f1896f71c7864e2c3bd80b817
remote:
remote: to see body of commits.
remote:
To git.bioconductor.org:packages/sva.git
 ! [remote rejected] master -> master (pre-receive hook declined)
error: failed to push some refs to 'git using git.bioconductor.org:packages/sva.git'

If I clone git using git.bioconductor.org:packages/sva.git I can see that
both 812b5394 and a3406ad1 already exist on the Bioc git. I see that
one of the notes at
http://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/git/abandon-changes/#force-bioconductor--to-github-
mentions that the step 1-4 solution won't work in this scenario. The
"Reset to a previous commit" section recommends using git reset
--hard. But that still fails.

$ git reset -- hard a3406ad11056c
13:58 sva-devel $ git status
On branch master
Your branch is ahead of 'upstream/master' by 3 commits.
  (use "git push" to publish your local commits)

nothing to commit, working tree clean
13:58 sva-devel $ git push -f upstream master
Counting objects: 15, done.
Compressing objects: 100% (7/7), done.
Writing objects: 100% (15/15), 2.76 KiB | 1.38 MiB/s, done.
[...]

So hm... I have no idea how to fix this.

Best,
Leo