[Bioc-devel] EXTERNAL: troubles with fetching Bioconductor github

Felix Ernst felix@ern@t @ending from ulb@@c@be
Fri Aug 17 09:56:35 CEST 2018

Hi all,

I had a problem accessing git using bioconductor yesterday as well from a Windows
1803 PC. With the same PC it worked in March, but not now.

The last bit about the version is important since the OpenSSH form Microsoft
is apparently in 1803 the default. I don't know, how the setup was
previously.

How I diagnosed the problem:
- ssh-add -l does not show previously added keys (powershell or git bash
terminal in rstudio)
- re-adding keys works and is persistent after a restart without a .bashrc
script or anything ()
- ssh -T works
- git fetch does not

The last two information means, that there are to key stores at play.

There are two solutions, which worked for me:
- copy and rename the key file to ~/.ssh/id_rsa (git finds it then and ask
for passphrase. The config file in ~/.ssh/ was ignored)
- change core.sshCommand option in .gitconfig to
"C:/Windows/System32/OpenSSH/ssh.exe" (git uses the stored keys added with
ssh-add)

I don't know, where I found all the bits of information, but it was
basically a lot of googling. I am also not sure, whether this a specific
problem to my machine or a general Windows 1803 issue. I am also not sure,
what the underlying cause for the behaviour is. It is more a fix for the
symptom, not a cure.

Hope this helps some people.

Best regards,
Felix