[Bioc-devel] Block bootstrap for GenomicRanges

Michael Love mich@eli@@i@hlove @ending from gm@il@com
Tue Aug 14 03:07:25 CEST 2018

dear Hervé,

Thanks for the quick reply about directions to take this.

I'm sorry for not providing sufficient detail about the goal of block
bootstrapping in my initial post. Let me try again. For a moment, let
me ignore multiple chromosomes/seqs and just focus on a single set of
IRanges.

The point of the block bootstrap is: Let's say we want to find the
number of overlaps of x and y, and then assess how surprised we are at
how large that overlap is. Both of them may have features that tend to
cluster together along the genome (independently). One method would
just be to move the features in y around to random start sites, making
y', say B times, and then calculate each of the B times the number of
overlaps between x and y'. Or we might make this better by having
blacklisted sites where the randomly shuffled features in y cannot go.

The block bootstrap is an alternative to randomly moving the start
sites, where instead we create random data, by taking big "blocks" of
features in y. Each block is a lot like a View. And the ultimate goal
is to make B versions of the data y where the features have been
shuffled around, but by taking blocks, we preserve the clumpiness of
the features in y.

Let me give some numbers to make this more concrete, so say we're
making a single block bootstrap sample of a chromosome that is 1000 bp
long. Here is the original y:

y <- IRanges(c(51,61,71,111,121,131,501,511,521,921,931,941),width=5)

If I go with my coverage approach, I should extend it all the way to
the end of the chromosome. Here I lose information if there are
overlaps of features in y, and I'm thinking of a fix I'll describe
below.

cov <- c(coverage(y), Rle(rep(0,55)))

I could make one block bootstrap sample of y (this is 1 out of B in
the ultimate procedure) by taking 10 blocks of width 100. The blocks
have random start positions from 1 to 901.

y.boot.1 <- unlist(Views(cov, start=round(runif(10,1,901)), width=100))

This last line below is a hack to get back to the ranges for a single
block bootstrap sample of y. It works here, but only because none of
the features in y were overlapping each other.

Instead of coverage(), if I'd made an Rle where the non-zero elements
are located at the start of ranges, and the value is the width of the
range, I think this Views approach would actually work.

y.boot.1.rng <- IRanges(start(y.boot.1)[runValue(y.boot.1) == 1],
  width=runLength(y.boot.1)[runValue(y.boot.1) == 1])

I'm interested in building a function that takes in IRanges and
outputs these shuffled set of IRanges.