[Bioc-devel] Suggested edits to support site posting guide

Tim Triche, Jr. tim.triche at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 21:30:50 CEST 2018

well, Hadley usually walks people through the steps required to 1) file a
bug reproducibly or 2) learn how to do the thing in question organically,
and his universe is doing OK, so N=1 in favor of that approach.  Also a lot
of people helped me learning Perl (!) on Usenet (!!!) so yeah I'm old but
it seems like civility was once a little more common.  Bioc-devel and
support.bioconductor.com are healthy communities, I would hope that nobody
minds this being spelled out explicitly.

I love Prof Ripley and he's never been anything but nice to me, still,
r-help's reputation took a beating from his insistence on self-reliance.
Several times when I thought I understood a library or process, I'd write
up an example and discover that what I believed to be true was not, in
fact, true -- perhaps an example was cordoned off with \{dontrun} or some
such, perhaps an upstream package broke unwritten assumptions, whatever.
My point is that it can be beneficial for the answerer as for the asker,
and perhaps if one does not have time to provide a working example in an
answer, then it might be better to let another person with sufficient time
go ahead and address that question.

JMHO, since you asked "everyone else".

Best,

--t