[Bioc-devel] Switch to SSH protocol for git clone instructions on package landing pages?

Peter Hickey peter.hickey at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 16:03:43 CEST 2018

The one-liner on the package landing page describing how to check out
a package from the git repo uses HTTPS rather than ssh, e.g.:

# From https://bioconductor.org/packages/bsseq/
git clone https://git.bioconductor.org/packages/bsseq

However, as a developer we should be using the SSH protocol
(https://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/git/faq/).

Is there any reason not to use the SSH protocol (i.e. git clone
git at git.bioconductor.org:packages/bsseq) in the instructions given on
the landing page? It seems to me an unnecessary source of friction,
particularly for new developers who will end up with the dreaded
"fatal: remote error: FATAL: W any packages/myPackage nobody DENIED by
fallthru (or you mis-spelled the reponame)" error message if they
don't know to switch protocols
(https://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/git/faq/)

Cheers,
Pete