[Bioc-devel] Workflows are now in git (and other Important workflow-related changes)

Leonardo Collado Torres lcollado at jhu.edu
Mon Apr 2 16:32:42 CEST 2018

Hi,

Thank you for all the work in this transition Andrzej, Lori, Valerie,
Nitesh and Hervé!

I have a few questions about the new system.

1) I already had a github repo (that I manually kept in sync with the
subversion one) for the recountWorkflow. Should I just follow the
instructions at
http://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/git/sync-existing-repositories/?
I guess that I'll need to do this too
http://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/git/abandon-changes/#force-bioconductor--to-github-

2) Is repo/vignettes/.html_output still needed?

3) Related to (2), the .html_output file used to ignore the `output`
line in the vignette YAML. I got an email from Lori saying that
output: BiocWorkflowTools::f1000_article is not working for
recountWorfkflow for now (no html vignette). My guess is that the
`output` line now matters, and in my case, that would build a pdf file
which is ignored due to
https://github.com/LieberInstitute/recountWorkflow/blob/master/.Rbuildignore#L12
in my .Rbuildignore.

4) Related to the last 2. What setup do you recommend so I can
maintain a single git repo that produces the files needed for
uploading them to F1000research? Before this transition, I had to
maintain 3 repos: the subversion one for Bioc, my git copy (well,
main), and another one with the files setup for F1000. At some point
in the past, Andrzej recommended that I use "output:
BiocWorkflowTools::f1000_article" to try to have all the files in 1
place. I imagine that I would still need some ifelse() statements for
sentences like the one I have at
https://github.com/LieberInstitute/recountWorkflow/blob/master/vignettes/recount-workflow.Rmd#session-information
I think that this question could be generalized and documented in the
Bioc website.

5) Is there anything else I should be aware of so I can reproduce any
errors? In the past, the Bioc workflow system would trigger a build
immediately after a new push, and due to the custom way workflows were
built (like .html_output), I relied on these builds to check if my
changes had worked or not: specially early on where I had issues with
figures, links to figures and figure captions.

Best,
Leo