[Bioc-devel] assay dimnames in SingleCellExperiment / SummarizedExperiment

Aaron Lun alun at wehi.edu.au
Sat Sep 16 07:43:38 CEST 2017

I'll leave the first point to the SummarizedExperiment maintainers, though I  note that your code seems to be about the names of the dimnames rather than the dimnames themselves. (I'm under the impression that consistency in the actual dimnames is enforced somehow by the SE constructor.)

As for the second point; I suppose we could set the second name for the dimnames as "Cells" in SingleCellExperiment, though the choice for the first name is more ambiguous. This request has come up before, and I've never been entirely convinced by its necessity. It seems mostly aesthetic to me, and honestly, if a user doesn't already know that rows are genes and columns are cells, I can't see them flailing away at the keyboard until they call dim() to tell them what the dimensions correspond to.

But I guess other people like aesthetics, so if you want, you can put in a PR to override dim() and dimnames() for SingleCellExperiment to put some names on the returned vectors or lists. If I had to choose, I would go with "Features" and "Cells" for the rows and columns, respectively. (We already use a RSE so we're already implicitly assuming genomic features.)

-Aaron