[Bioc-devel] Identical methods in two packages

Michael Lawrence lawrence.michael at gene.com
Tue Sep 12 22:28:04 CEST 2017

I think I'm going to vote for the policy that methods with identical
signatures are currently unsupported by the methods package. It's
tough to imagine how they might work in any reliable and natural way,
and they totally break the methods package currently.

In the grand scheme of things, generics should have constrained
semantics. If you guys can't reconcile the semantics, then you'll need
two different generics with the same name. But please think about the
users.

Michael

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 1:06 PM, Laurent Gatto <lg390 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> [...]
>>     20063 terms  297 properties  0 individuals
>>
>> So the problem here is that even though now we have a single Ontology
>> generic in BiocGenerics for the 2 methods, we haven't really talked
>> about semantics i.e. what Ontology() is actually supposed to do. Having
>> a generic without some sort of contract that methods are supposed to
>> honor is like having a generic called doSomething() and have people
>> start writing a bunch of methods for it ;-)
>>
>> The right thing to do here would be to use 2 different generics with
>> 2 different names e.g. Ontology() in AnnotationDbi and ontologySummary()
>> in rols. Or GOontology() in AnnotationDbi and Ontology() in rols.
>>
>> If we want to keep the current situation and make it work properly, we
>> could implement the following hack: have rols depend on AnnotationDbi
>> and make the method in rols work on GO ids. The code would just need
>> to detect whether the strings in the supplied character vector start
>> with the "GO:" prefix and delegate to the code in AnnotationDbi (this
>> means that rols would need to be able to call that code so the body
>> of the AnnotationDbi method would need to be moved to an helper
>> function). An ugly hack though!
>>
>> What do you want to do?
>>
>> H.
>>
>> On 09/03/2017 07:59 AM, Laurent Gatto wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> This is a follow up to a previous email regarding the Ontology generic
>>> function, that is now in the BiocGenerics package. It seems that my
>>> problem was not only that both rols and AnnotationDbi defined the same
>>> generic, but they also both defined Ontology,character.

>>> This is 'rols' version 2.5.2

>>> Ontology: Gene Ontology (go)
>>>    An ontology for describing the function of genes and gene products
>>>     Loaded: 2017-08-31 Updated: 2017-09-01 Version: 2017-08-30
>>>     49075 terms  67 properties  0 individuals
>>> standardGeneric for "Ontology" defined from package "BiocGenerics"
>>>
>>> function (object)
>>> standardGeneric("Ontology")
>>> <environment:0x2da7cf0>
>>> Methods may be defined for arguments: object
>>> Use  showMethods("Ontology")  for currently available ones.
>>> Function: Ontology (package BiocGenerics)
>>> object="character"
>>> object="Ontology"

>>> Method Definition:
>>>
>>> function (object)
>>> {
>>>      url <- ontologyUrl(object)
>>>      x <- GET(url)
>>>      stop_for_status(x)
>>>      cx <- content(x)
>>>      makeOntology(cx)
>>> }
>>> <environment:namespace:rols>
>>>
>>> Signatures:
>>>          object
>>> target  "character"
>>> defined "character"
>>>
>>> Until now, everything works as expected. The trouble begins when loading
>>> AnnotationDbi.

>>> Function: Ontology (package BiocGenerics)
>>> object="GOTerms"
>>> object="GOTermsAnnDbBimap"