[Bioc-devel] NEWS, inst/NEWS, NEWS.md

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Sun Sep 10 01:43:30 CEST 2017

On 09/09/2017 06:11 PM, Levi Waldron wrote:
> What's the currently recommended location for package NEWS?  At
> https://www.bioconductor.org/developers/package-submission/ it says
> inst/NEWS, and I feel like I heard somewhere that NEWS.md was supported.
> But in a scan of the first page of https://github.com/bioconductor, all use
> NEWS in the base package directory, and that is the only option I was able
> to make show up on
> https://bioconductor.org/packages/devel/data/experiment/news/curatedMetagenomicData/NEWS
> when I played with it a couple months ago. Just want to get it straight.

Writing R extensions points to ?news, which says

      in the given libraries, it is attempted to read its news in
      structured form from files 'inst/NEWS.Rd', 'NEWS' or 'inst/NEWS'
      (in that order).

All three are supported on the web site (I verified this with annotate
[inst/NEWS.Rd], zinbwave [inst/NEWS], and KEGGREST [NEWS]) and all are
installed at the root of system.file(package=.).

Martin