[Bioc-devel] Bioconductor-mirror permanently removed August 25th

Jim Hester james.f.hester at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 21:58:23 CEST 2017

I understand the fragmentation concerns, just felt the mirrors should have
been maintained at least until a reasonable alternative exists.

The diverging history issues should be resolvable by resetting the state to
the canonical bioconductor repository and force pushing necessary changes
to their repository. Issues for the mirrors were disabled, and the
repositories had a pull request webhook setup to automatically close pull
requests with an informative message. You could potentially have similar
issues with the CRAN mirror (https://github.com/cran), but that seems to be
a valuable resource to the community.

Also FWIW the CERN root project repos are also on GitHub (
https://github.com/root-project), it is instructive to contrast the landing
page for the same repository on each
  - https://root.cern.ch/gitweb/?p=cling.gi
  - https://github.com/root-project/cling

I personally find repository interfaces that put commit messages up front
such as sourceforge and gitweb challenging to navigate. Generally if I am
looking at a repository it is because I want to see the source code, not
the latest commit messages. For self hosting solutions I would encourage
use of something like Gitea (https://gitea.io/en-US/), which has a richer
interface with easier access to source code / rendered READMEs etc.
(example repo https://try.gitea.io/klud/graphql-docker-api). I think
similarity concerns to GitHub are somewhat overblown and could be addressed
with some Bioconductor specific CSS if needed. There are performance
concerns with a richer interface, but I believe Gitea has much lower
resource requirements than other similar alternatives like GitLab and at
least their demo server seems to have no trouble with ~1300 repositories.

I feel the real value in having Bioconductor mirrors on GitHub is the
ability to easily search for code across all of the published R ecosystem
in one query. This is useful for deprecating functions, gauging usage
popularity etc. and becomes harder to do without a mirror.

Thank you to everyone for the replies and you are of course free to do what
you feel is in the best interest of the project!

Jim