[Bioc-devel] splitting a Bioconductor package in two

Stephanie M. Gogarten sdmorris at u.washington.edu
Wed Sep 6 18:07:48 CEST 2017

Hi,

If one wanted to move some code from an existing Bioconductor package
into its own, separate package for ease of maintenance, would that
constitute a new package submission with the full review process? Or is
there some expedited submission available?

We are refactoring the GENESIS package and debating whether to move the
low-level statistical testing code into a different package (which
GENESIS would then import). As I see it, pros include easier maintenance
and testing, and the potential value of the stats package to other users
and developers who might not want to import the entire GDS framework
that GENESIS uses. Cons include the overhead of submitting, writing
vignettes, etc. for a set of functions that are meant to be used internally.

What are other pros and cons of this approach (versus just keeping
everything in one big package)?

thanks,
Stephanie