[Bioc-devel] Bioconductor-mirror permanently removed August 25th

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Wed Sep 6 17:38:33 CEST 2017

On 09/06/2017 11:28 AM, Robert M. Flight wrote:
> I agree with Jim. It has been very useful to have the Bioconductor GitHub
> mirror to examine code, and the CRAN mirror as well. A post-hook to push
> there would be very useful.

The mirror causes tremendous confusion on several fronts.

The updates can be not robust for a number of reasons (likely less so
now that we use git).

The 'definitive' source is git.bioconductor.org, not the github mirror,
and of course developers often have their own github repository. We
regularly receive queries from developers trying to push to the mirror,
users trying to post issues on the mirror, etc.

We have explored a couple of alternative approaches. It seems likely
that the rss feed / svn log at

   http://bioconductor.org/developers/svnlog/

can be easily re-enabled. We've also looked at gitweb for browsing,
which looks like

   https://root.cern.ch/gitweb/

and is 'different enough' from github that users / developers wouldn't
get confused (and it would allow source-level browsing of the actual
repository).

Further discussion welcome.

Martin