[Bioc-devel] COHCAP GitHub Update

Sean Davis seandavi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 02:28:54 CEST 2017

Hi, Charles. See replies inline.

On Mon, Sep 4, 2017 at 3:30 PM, Charles Warden <cwarden45 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Sean,
>
> I'm admittedly on a different computer now, but I still get an error
> message (although it is different than the last one):
>
> git clone git at git.bioconductor.org:packages/COHCAP.git
> Cloning into 'COHCAP'...
> Permission denied (publickey).
>
> Please make sure you have the correct access rights
> and the repository exists.

This error means that there is a problem with your git ssh key. It could be
that your private key is not present on the new computer or that the ssh
key on Bioconductor has not been registered. Given the error below, it
appears that at least one ssh key is working.

> Also, there was a lot of text in the previous message, but I tried
> following the commands to merge and update the Bioconductor and GitHub
> COHCAP repositories.  On that computer (the computer where I defined the
> ssh key), I could run "git remote add upstream git at git.bioconductor.org:
> packages/COHCAP.git", but I ran into a problem at the push step:
>
> COHCAP cwarden$ git push upstream master
>
> To git at git.bioconductor.org:packages/COHCAP.git
>
>  ! [rejected]        master -> master (non-fast-forward)
>
> error: failed to push some refs to 'git at git.bioconductor.org:
> packages/COHCAP.git'
>
> hint: Updates were rejected because the tip of your current branch is
> behind
>
> hint: its remote counterpart. Integrate the remote changes (e.g.
>
> hint: 'git pull ...') before pushing again.

You can often follow the instructions suggested by "hints" given by git. In
this case, it appears that there are some commits present at Bioconductor
that are not present in your local clone. Doing a `git pull` will fetch and
merge those changes. Assuming there are no merge conflicts, you should then
be able to push.

> hint: See the 'Note about fast-forwards' in 'git push --help' for details.
>
> Is there a way that I should modify the ssh "git clone
> git at git.bioconductor.org:packages/COHCAP.git" command?

You have had a few separate issues on this thread. My last comment about
`git pull` means that your first two problems (typo in the URL, missing or
mismatched ssh key) were overcome already. I'd proceed from there.

Hope that helps,
Sean