[Bioc-devel] possible bug in Rhtslib::pkgconfig

Aaron Lun alun at wehi.edu.au
Fri Oct 27 11:42:33 CEST 2017

Dear list,

It seems that there is an issue with Rhtslib::pkgconfig() regarding the
identification of the location of the shared library on some systems:

https://support.bioconductor.org/p/102248/

To summarize: on this system, R is putting the shared library in lib64/,
while pkgconfig() looks for it in lib/. This results in linkage errors
for all packages depending on Rhtslib on this system. I imagine that the
same would happen for all library packages, e.g., beachmat, Rhdf5lib.

Looking at the Makevars for Rhtslib suggests that the shared library is
stored in ${R_PACKAGE_DIR}/lib${R_ARCH}, while pkgconfig only ever looks
in lib/. I assume that this usually works because ${R_ARCH} is empty on
most linux systems, though perhaps this cannot be guaranteed.

Cheers,

Aaron