[Bioc-devel] EXTERNAL: R version dependence of a new package

Stephanie M. Gogarten sdmorris at uw.edu
Tue Oct 24 19:27:17 CEST 2017

Dear Yaoyong,

Can you remove the R version dependency from your DESCRIPTION file
entirely? That will eliminate the warning, but will also not suggest to
users that they need a newer version of R than is necessary. R 2.3.0 was
released in 2006, so it seems highly unlikely that anyone would be
currently trying to use an R version older than that.

Lori's answer seems to be more about the R version you should be using
to test your package, which should indeed be current, but that is
different than the minimum R version required to run the package at all.
I know Bioconductor encourages users to stay up-to-date with R versions
and does not guarantee that older versions will work with all packages,
but I think there is still some utility in letting users know which
packages depend on recent versions of R, and which packages can be
expected to work with older versions.

Stephanie