[Bioc-devel] Why should Bioconductor developers re-use core classes?

Ryan Thompson rct at thompsonclan.org
Wed Oct 18 19:26:15 CEST 2017

I think the main reason for reusing/subclassing core classes that users can
appreciate is that it makes it much easier for users to integrate multiple
packages into a single workflow. Only the most basic of pipelines uses just
a single Bioconductor package. For instance, an "edgeR" pipeline obviously
uses the edgeR package, but it likely also uses several other packages,
like sva, RUV, variancePartition, etc. The more these different packages
operate on the same core data structures, the less work the user has to do
to use them together. And to bring that back around to an incentive for
developers, making your package interoperate with other packages more
easily means that users will be more likely to use your package.