[Bioc-devel] Cardinal duplicate commits

Bemis, Kylie k.bemis at northeastern.edu
Tue Oct 17 19:13:32 CEST 2017

Hi all,

I have a problem with duplicate commits in my package “Cardinal”. So far I have avoided making more commits to my other package “matter” until I am sure how to avoid this again.

Soon after the git transition, I made a few small commits to the Bioconductor git repo, which I notice now included duplicate commits in the history. They were not rejected at the time. New commits now are rejected for me.

Locally and on my own Github repo (https://github.com/kuwisdelu/Cardinal) I have reverted to a commit from before I merged the Bioconductor master, to get a clean history without duplicate commits.

I have been trying to push this with

git push -f upstream

from the “Abandon changes” help page.

This is being rejected with:

kuwisdelu$ git push --force upstream master
Total 0 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0)
remote: FATAL: + refs/heads/master packages/Cardinal k.bemis DENIED by fallthru
remote: error: hook declined to update refs/heads/master
To git.bioconductor.org<http://git.bioconductor.org>:packages/Cardinal.git
 ! [remote rejected] master -> master (hook declined)
error: failed to push some refs to 'git at git.bioconductor.org<mailto:git at git.bioconductor.org>:packages/Cardinal.git'

What is the best way to get a clean history and avoid this happening again?

Thank you,
Kylie

~~~
Kylie Ariel Bemis
Future Faculty Fellow
College of Computer and Information Science
Northeastern University
kuwisdelu.github.io<https://kuwisdelu.github.io>