[Bioc-devel] EXTERNAL: git push to devel versions

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Wed Oct 11 12:08:34 CEST 2017

On 10/11/2017 02:02 AM, Samuel Wieczorek wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> The new release of Bioconductor is coming soon and I would like to be
> sure that I am doing the right things with Git.
>
> I am a bit confused with the Git commands to use in order to update the
> devel versions of my packages Prostar and DAPAR and DAPARdata (which is
> an experimentData package).
>
> Can you (re)explain to me the different steps are required and where to
> push my updates (origin ? upstream ? RELEASE_3_5 ?) ?

To update your package for the next release, update the 'master' branch
of the 'upstream' remote.

To fix a bug in the current release, update the 'RELEASE_3_5' branch of
the 'upstream' remote.

'origin' and 'upstream' are just labels -- the above assumes that you've
associate 'upstream' with git at git.bioconductor.org in your local
repository. 'origin' is typically a github repository, but a bare-bones
developer might not have a second remote. The workflow for new features
(i.e., changes only to 'devel') is

   http://master.bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/git/push-to-github-bioc/

The workflow for bug fixes (i.e., changes to _both_ release and devel) is

http://master.bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/git/bug-fix-in-release-and-devel/

Martin