[Bioc-devel] Old package versions / Bioc archive of package's *.tar.gz releases?

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Thu Oct 5 23:21:30 CEST 2017

On 10/05/2017 05:14 PM, Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 1:46 PM, Martin Morgan
> <martin.morgan at roswellpark.org> wrote:
>> On 10/05/2017 01:50 PM, Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there an easily accessible archive for Bioconductor packages
>>> similar to what is provided on CRAN where you can find all released
>>> versions of a package, e.g.
>>> https://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive/PSCBS/?
>>>
>>> Say I want to access the source code for affy 1.18.0.  Here are the
>>> two approaches I'm aware of and none of them are particularly
>>> appealing to me.  Does anyone know of a better approach?
>>

>> The only option is to scrape, and that's approximate. One could build an
>> archive
>>
>> pkg,version,branch,from_svn_rev,to_svn_rev
>>
>> and then consult that. Packages are supposed to increment the 'z' of x.y.z,
>> but I'm sure there are many exceptions. I believe Jim Hester has an svn
>> script for this, but I wasn't able to locate it; it would be fast in git.
>
> Thanks.  About 'z' not being increased.  Does the Bioc build servers
> release (a) continuously or (b) only when it detects a version change
> x.y.z -> x.y.z+1?  If it does it continuously, then what x.y.z is
> installed does matter on when it was downloaded/installed, correct?
> On the other hand, if it only builds in when a version bump is
> detected, then one can at least narrow it down to a much narrow set of
> x.y.z submits (if multiple exists).

The builder only pushes for upward increments, so a commit without a
'positive' version bump would be built but not pushed to the public
repository. I'm not sure how rigorously this policy was enforced before,
e.g., 2005.

Of course there are exceptions, e.g., it is occasionally (at most one or
two times a release cycle) necessary to flush the public repository
entirely, and then whatever is built is pushed. And there is nothing
stopping the user from doing a check-out from svn. Perhaps others will
chime in with the gory / correct details.

Martin