[Bioc-devel] Old package versions / Bioc archive of package's *.tar.gz releases?

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Thu Oct 5 22:46:44 CEST 2017

On 10/05/2017 01:50 PM, Henrik Bengtsson wrote:
> Is there an easily accessible archive for Bioconductor packages
> similar to what is provided on CRAN where you can find all released
> versions of a package, e.g.
> https://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Archive/PSCBS/?
>
> Say I want to access the source code for affy 1.18.0.  Here are the
> two approaches I'm aware of and none of them are particularly
> appealing to me.  Does anyone know of a better approach?

The only option is to scrape, and that's approximate. One could build an
archive

pkg,version,branch,from_svn_rev,to_svn_rev

and then consult that. Packages are supposed to increment the 'z' of
x.y.z, but I'm sure there are many exceptions. I believe Jim Hester has
an svn script for this, but I wasn't able to locate it; it would be fast
in git.

For your future self, this

   https://bioconductor.org/packages/3.5/bioc/src/contrib/Archive/S4Vectors/

provides a hint of a change coming with the next release -- archives of
all RELEASE package versions, starting in Bioc 3.6. (Kudos to Val for
implementing this)

Martin