[Bioc-devel] Git Problems and Dependence not available

Shepherd, Lori Lori.Shepherd at RoswellPark.org
Thu Nov 2 13:55:16 CET 2017

Hi Yuan,

To address your concerns:

1) The version bumps occur when we do a release.  You can see a similar thread here:

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioc-devel/2017-November/012268.html

with main answers describing the version bumps that happen during a Bioconductor release

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioc-devel/2017-November/012269.html

and

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/bioc-devel/2017-November/012270.html

The version in release should increment from 2.10.0 if you would like the changes reflected on our build machine. So the next version bump in RELEASE_3_6 should be 2.10.1

The version in devel should increment from 2.11.0 to be consistent with the release branch.  Please correct the versioning to be higher than 2.11.0 (i.e 2.11.1) .  You seemed to have reverted back to 2.9.10.

To get the version bumps locally, and any changes that may have occurred from our end,

You should always start with a pull or fetch/merge from the upstream as documented here:

http://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/git/pull-upstream-changes/

Before modifying local repositories, this will also help avoid git merge conflicts.

2) There is code for how to modify in both release and devel not having to change every file twice is documented here:

http://bioconductor.org/developers/how-to/git/bug-fix-in-release-and-devel/

The release is RELEASE_3_6  for every place that has RELEASE_X_Y

alternatively, you could change to the release branch and manually change all the files by

git fetch --all

git checkout RELEASE_3_6

<doing whatever changes necessary>

git commit

git push upstream <RELEASE_X_Y>
git push origin <RELEASE_X_Y>

3) Besides checkout out the upstream repository in a new location to verify the changes there is not a web version to look at like svn.  The build report should reflect the updated version numbers (provided they are higher than the previous version number) within 24 hours of pushing changes.

If the other two platforms build cleanly than you don't have to worry about windows at this time.

Lori Shepherd

Bioconductor Core Team

Roswell Park Cancer Institute

Elm & Carlton Streets