[Bioc-devel] any interest in a BiocMatrix core package?

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Thu Nov 2 11:17:19 CET 2017

On 11/02/2017 05:00 AM, Martin Maechler wrote:

>      > Probably way easier to add the generics to the Matrix
>      > package and everyone just depends on that.
>
> Yes!  It is 'Recommended' and comes with every R installation,
> and has had many such matrix S4 methods in place for > 10 years,
> notably for dealing with (large) sparse matrices.
>
> Honestly, I (as co-maintainer of Matrix, principal maintainer
> 	     for several years now)
> had been a bit surprised and frustrated that the 'matrixStats'
> initiative had started w/o any contact with the Matrix package
> maintainers and initially has not ever tried to use Matrix
> package classes or functionality
> (and this is still the case now AFAICS).
>
> I'm happy to coordinate with maintainers of bioc packages about
> which generics (and classes !) to use and export, etc.

One issue is that Matrix is a relatively large package (well, I wonder
if that's a reasonable statement, given the Bioc dependencies and data
involved, but perhaps in general...) and hence 'overkill' to obtain a
collection of generics. Is there any prospect for factoring out the
definition of the generics from implementation of the methods?
Re-purposing stats4 ?

Martin Morgan