[Bioc-devel] openbabel 2.4.1

Obenchain, Valerie Valerie.Obenchain at RoswellPark.org
Thu May 25 21:21:49 CEST 2017

Hi,

I've updated to 2.4.1 on veracruz1. ChemmineOB did not install clean -
you'll see the errors on tomorrow's build report (May 26).

As I mentioned, updating to 2.4.1 on Linux will be a hassle for the
Linux users. Because 2.4.1 is not available with apt-get Open Babel must
be installed from source. I would recommend keeping 2.3.0 on Linux and
Windows and 2.4.1 on Mac. This is beneficial all around - Mac users can
use 'brew install' and Linux users use 'apt-get install'. Windows users
have to install from source regardless of version so you might as well
stick with what they already have.

Having the 2 Open Babel versions on the build machines also serves as a
double check that future developments on ChemmineOB are backwards
compatible. If you feel strongly about having 2.4.1 on Linux, please
update ChemmineOB/INSTALL with the steps required to manually install
2.4.1 from source on Linux.

Valerie