[Bioc-devel] xps build problem on veracruz2

Hervé Pagès hpages at fredhutch.org
Fri Mar 24 18:02:18 CET 2017

On 03/24/2017 06:52 AM, cstrato wrote:
> R/Bioc is still building on Mavericks,

Not for R devel (3.4). The R folks have switched to El Capitan a few
days ago:

   https://r.research.att.com/

> and before was built on Snow
> Leopard (which many people are sill using).
>
> Personally I think that it does not make much difference whether
> Mavericks or El Capitan (or Yosemite) is used to build R/Bioc.

How much experience you have with setting a Mavericks or El Capitan
build machine to build and distribute thousands of package binaries for
hundreds ot thousands of users?

> However, Sierra is different, and when the CRAN people are experimenting
> with clang 4.0.0 for producing the Mac binaries, as Herve has mentioned,
> then backwards-compatibility would probably be lost anyhow.

I think you misunderstood what Dan said. Backward-compatibility is
always lost i.e. binaries built on a given OS X versions are not
guaranteed to be backward compatible with older OS X versions. That's
why building them on the latest OS X version is a bad idea.

> But I understand that this is a decision the CRAN people have to make.

You're welcome to discuss this choice on the R-SIG-Mac mailing list.

Cheers,
H.

E-mail: hpages at fredhutch.org
Phone:  (206) 667-5791