[Bioc-devel] R long vectors not supported yet on R 3.3.2

Wolfgang Huber wolfgang.huber at embl.de
Fri Mar 10 21:54:25 CET 2017

Two replies:

1. Downsampling?
In case you want to use the Hilbert curve for visualisation, please note
that you will need a graphics device with resolution 65536 x 65536 to
display it. Many people have smaller screens, so binning the genome
(e.g. into bins of 10x10=100nt) could be a practical solution, and more
efficient than computing some large intermediate thing that your
graphics device will then downsample anyway.

2. Long vector
In case you really need the big curve: I just had a look at the C code
in the "HilbertVis" package, which anyway uses long ints, and it does
not look difficult to modify the R wrapper so that it uses a long
vector. I assume that Simon would welcome the patch.

Wolfgang

9.3.17 08:44, Sohaib Ghani scripsit: