[Bioc-devel] any interest in a BiocMatrix core package?

Aaron Lun alun at wehi.edu.au
Thu Mar 2 20:05:46 CET 2017

I'll give two examples from the scran package. In both cases, the count
matrix is such that rows are genes and columns are cells. The first
example involves cell cycle phase assignment (from the cyclone()
function, FYI). Briefly, upon entry to C++, the function:

1. Loops through the cells, one at a time.
2. For each cell, it applies a classifier to the counts for that cell
(i.e., a column of the count matrix). This is not a straightforward
operation and also involves a number of random permutations.
3. Returns a set of scores representing the phase assignment.

For a few cells, I could conceivably move the loop into R and just
supply the column counts for each cell via .Call, which would avoid the
need to interact with the matrix in C++. However, if I were to process
one million cells, the slowness of R's loops would really hurt.

The second example involves normalization using a pooling and
deconvolution algorithm (from the computeSumFactors() function). Upon
entry into C++, the function:

1. Loops through an ordered set of cells.
2. At each cell, the neighbouring set of 20-100 cells defines a sliding
window. Counts for all cells in the window are summed together to create
a pooled expression profile.
3. The pooled profile is used to obtain a size factor, by computing the
median of the ratios between the pool and a pseudo-cell.
4. This is repeated for all cells in the set (i.e., all positions of the
window). Each window corresponds to a pool; the function stores the
identity of the cells in the pool and the size factor for the pool.

The output is used to construct a linear system at the R level, which is
solved to obtain cell-specific size factors. Again, the work done within
the loop is not obviously vectorizable with standard functions.

All of the cases I work with involve processing one row or column at a
time; I generally don't do matrix operations that require random access,
at least not at the C++ level.

Another motivation for moving into C++ is the greater control over
memory management. For a decent number of cells, this can make the
difference between something being runnable or not.

Cheers,

Aaron