[Bioc-devel] What to do about std::cerr/cout warnings in external libraries?

Shian Su su.s at wehi.edu.au
Wed Jun 21 03:38:42 CEST 2017

My warning is

checking compiled code ... WARNING
File ‘scPipe/libs/scPipe.so’:
  Found ‘___stderrp’, possibly from ‘stderr’ (C)
    Objects: ‘bgzf.o’, ‘hts.o’, ‘sam.o’
  Found ‘_abort’, possibly from ‘abort’ (C)
    Object: ‘sam.o’
  Found ‘_exit’, possibly from ‘exit’ (C)
    Object: ‘bgzf.o’

Compiled code should not call entry points which might terminate R nor
write to stdout/stderr instead of to the console, nor the system RNG.

As far as I can tell my source files are identical to the ones in Rhtslib, how does Rhtslib avoid this warning? I feel safer with one less dependency but I’ll consider linking to Rhtslib, thanks!