[Bioc-devel] cannot import from package of specified version

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Sun Jul 23 19:01:12 CEST 2017

On 07/23/2017 12:40 PM, Luo Weijun via Bioc-devel wrote:
> Dear BioC team,
> Pathview is experiencing some build and parising problem. It turns out that pathview imports some parsing functions from another package KEGGgraph, which was not exported anymore in the KEGGgraph namespace (latest release 1.38.0). Details in: https://support.bioconductor.org/p/98334/
>
> Since previous releases of KEGGgraph worked, so I specify the latest working version in the DESCRIPTION file as
> Imports: KEGGgraph (== 1.32.0)
> It passed R CMD CHECK locally, but failed the INSTALL online:
> http://bioconductor.org/checkResults/release/bioc-LATEST/pathview/malbec2-install.html
>
> Obviously, Bioconductor testing servers does not import or load the namespace of the specified KEGGgraph version (1.32.0), but failed the test when seeing the difference in the loaded and required KEGGgraph version.
> I would like to check:
> 1) whether this issue can be fixed on the Bioconductor testing servers
> 2) instead of manual installation, whether biocLite() would automatically install the required version of a imported/depended package?

no, only the 'current' version of Bioconductor packages are available /
installed via biocLite(), so your code needs to be updated to work with
the current KEGGgraph.

Also: The KEGGgraph maintainer should ensure that the *devel* version of
KEGGgraph has an odd-numbered 'y' version greater than the *release*
version. Currently,

   Release: 1.38.0
   Devel: 1.37.1

Best 'correct' version

   Release: 1.38.0
   Devel: 1.39.0

Next new feature version

   Devel: 1.39.1

Next bug-fix version, assuming no new features

   Release: 1.38.1
   Devel: 1.39.1

Martin